Christopher Nolan’s Following Gets Criterion Release
Criterion has announced that Dark Knight Trilogy director Christopher Nolan’s first full-length film, Following (1999), will receive a Criterion Collection Blu-ray and DVD Special Edition release on December 11, 2012. The crime drama stars Jeremy Theobald, Alex Haw, Lucy Russell and John Nolan.
Before he became a sensation with the twisty revenge story Memento, Christopher Nolan fashioned this low-budget, black-and-white, 16 mm neonoir with comparable precision and cunning. Supplying irrefutable evidence of Nolan’s directorial bravura, Following is the fragmented tale of an unemployed young writer who trails strangers through London, hoping that they will provide inspiration for his first novel.
He gets more than he bargained for with one of his unwitting subjects, who leads him down a dark, criminal path. With gritty aesthetics and a made-on-the-fly vibe (many shots were simply stolen on the streets, unbeknownst to passersby), Following is a mind-bending psychological journey that shows the remarkable beginnings of one of today’s most acclaimed filmmakers.
- Director-Approved Special Edition Features:
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director Christopher Nolan, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
- New 5.1 surround sound mix by sound editor Gary Rizzo, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
- Audio commentary by Nolan
- New interview with Nolan
- Chronological rendering of the story
- Side-by-side comparison of three scenes in the film with the shooting script
- Doodlebug (1997), a three-minute film by Nolan, starring Jeremy Theobald
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic and programmer Scott Foundas